WEAVER'S WORLD / MYSORE / PLACES TO VISIT -6
Kukkaranahalli Lake has its own history. When people were in need of water for irrigating their fields and during the period when the reservoirs were the only mode of collecting and storing rain water for agricultural purpose the king of Mysore got built this tank in 1864, much prior to K R Sagar coming into existence. Krishnaraja Wadeyar III [Mummadi Krishnaraja Wadeyar], (1794–1868) was responsible for bringing this lake to provide water to irrigate about 4000 hectares of land and to Mysore city. The lake was a big attraction to bird watchers. It was noted that about 176 species of migratory birds more than 10,000 to 15,000 of them visited the lake during winter to roost. This lake is well situated in the city environs, a heaven for morning walkers it opens early in the morning till 9 am and by evening 4 to 7 it offers the serene atmosphere with morning breeze or mist accordingly to the seasons, makes you feel rejuvenated. A place for birdwatchers, photographers or for those who loves to be in the midst of nature.
One of the oldest Venkateshwara temples in Mysore city . Very well developed now and easily reachable. It is a very busy crowded lovely place on the way to KRS from Mysore. It was established in 1937 by the founder Sri Chikkannadasaru. The inspiring divine icons of Lord Sri Lakshmi Venkataramana and Goddess Padmavathi adorn the sanctum sanctorum. The pooja systems are of same type as observed in Tirumala Thirupathi temple, the original abode of Lord Venkataramana in Andhra Pradesh. They strictly follow all religious customs in accordance with Agama as guided by seer of Sri Brahmatantra Parakaal Swamiji at every stage. The temple is a sacred place where non-violence is strictly observed. This temple is a Vaishnavite shrine observing the philosophy of equality and love. It forbids sacrifice of animals. I was wonderstruck to witness Saligrama Haara consisting of 108 Saligramas brought from Nepal. The idol when decorated with Diamond crown of Gold, Pearls and Gem stones looks like the idol of Lord Venkateswara/Balaji of Tirupathi.
‘Wax museum’ or ‘waxworks’ include collection of wax sculptures of certain important personalities.The history of making human and other figures using wax started in Europe and France by Antoine Benoist (1632–1717). He was French court painter and sculptor in wax to King Louis XIV. James II of England invited him to visit England in 1684 to make wax figure of the English king. Mrs. Mary in Fleet Street in London did an excellent work. She was noted in wax business in 1711. Philippe Curtius, waxwork modeler opened his museum as a tourist attraction in Paris (1770). Caverne des Grandes Voleurs added "Cave of the Great Thieves" and "Chamber of Horrors" in 1783. Madame Tussaud started her wax exhibition in London in 1835. Late 19th century saw commercial wax museums in many big cities. But in late 20th century wax museums found difficult to compete with changing attractions in the world.
You can use this element to add a quote, content...