EMBROIDERIES OF INDIA / KUTCH WORK / VARIETIES
- There are different sub-groups within the population, each with their own skill or expertise in a particular style of Kutchi embroidery.
- The Rabaris are good at decorative floral designs, panels, geometrical images, in the chain stitch with mirror work scattered in between.
- The Ahirs are supposed to be superior to the Rabaris in chain stitch, their work being even more exquisite. Their designs are different though.
- There is a style of embroidery known as Hurmitch. This is supposed to be inspired from the thorny Bavaliya or Acacia tree. The theme is totally disconnected interweaving stitches arranged into various geometric patterns.
- In the Hurmitch embroidered fabrics, the reverse surface of the fabric contrasts very much with the front. The Jats of Banni region there have a style characterized by geometrical decorative designs with flowers in square chain stitch.
You can use this element to add a quote, content...