Street food has its own taste akin to a brand and despite knowing that there are a lot of things like water, cleanliness, hygiene and other factors that find askance, it does not deter the Indian populace from frequenting these street vendor dhabas.
Today we shall check out a popular dish – Misal.
Misal means mixture in Marathi and technically speaking Misal is indeed a delightful mix of several tangy and tongue tasty elements.
Ask the regular Mumbaiite who cannot live without his routine quota of street food and Misal will definitely be on his list. Misal is an usal topped with farsan, chopped onions, tomatoes and lemon, best served with pav.
What you will need:
For the Misal
oil - 1 ½ tbsp
cumin seeds (jeera) – ½ tsp
chopped onions – ¼ cup
ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste - 1 tsp
tomato puree – ½ cup
clove powder – ¼ tsp
cinnamon (dalchini) powder – ¼ tsp
turmeric powder (haldi) – ¼ tsp
coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder - 1 tbsp
chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
misal masala (readily available in the market) - 1 tbsp
sugar (optional) - a pinch
salt to taste
mixed sprouts - 1 cup boiled
chopped coriander (dhania) - 2 tbsp
mixed farsan - 1 cup
finely chopped onions - 8 tbsp
lemon wedges - 4
laadi pavs - 8
Making the Misal
- Take a kadhai or deep frying pan and heat oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds to it. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato purée, clove powder, cinnamon powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, misal masala, sugar, salt and ¼ cup of water. Mix them all well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till the oil separates, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mixed sprouts, ¾ cup of water and coriander, mix well and simmer for another 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- The misal is ready.
How to serve
- Place ¼th of the masala on a small plate, top with ¼th of the missal, ¼ cup of farsan and ¼ cup of onions evenly over it.
- You can serve immediately with 2 pavs and a lemon wedge.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaBTxv79Jg"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Kind courtesy – www.tarladalal.com[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]