Summer is almost over but still lingers sufficiently for the body to feel its presence. This is the time when anything that will cool the body and please the taste buds is welcome. One of the popular drinks or eats is the Falooda Kulfi or Falooda Ice Cream, a favourite with all ages. Most times it is relished at restaurants or juice parlours after dinner. So why not try to make it at home and enjoy at leisure?
Falooda Kulfi (Falooda Ice Cream)
What you will need
- Kulfi - made with 1 kg. Milk.
- Rose Sharbat
- Ice Pieces.
- Sugar - 2 cup (400 gms)
- Corn Flour - 1 cup (100 gms.)
- Tukmaria seeds or Sabja seeds (also known as sweet basil) - 1 tea spoon.
- Full Cream Milk - 1 ltr. (to make Rabri)
Getting the ingredients ready for making Falooda
- Take Kulfi that is properly freezed from the shop or substitute it with vanilla ice-cream.Alternately you could make the kulfi at home itself.
- Take a pan. Add 400 gms sugar and 1 cup water in it. Light the gas, keep medium flame.
- Let the mixture boil and let the sugar dissolve completely in it. Then cook for two or three minutes more and shut off the gas. The sugar solution is ready.
- Now take 1 cup corn flour, 2½ cup water and mix it well till the batter gets smooth (no lumps should be seen in the batter).
- Now cook this mixture on a medium flame. Stir till it gets transparent and thick. Put this hot mixture into Sev maker with the help of a ladle. On the other hand take a bowl filled with water and ice pieces. Press the seva maker and place it over the ice filled bowl. Let the seva strings drop directly into the bowl and leave it for 10 miutes to settle down.
- Boil 1 ltr. full cream milk. Once the milk boils, cook it on a medium flame and stir it continuously. Cook the milk until the it gets reduced to half the original quantity. (5 cups of milk will get reduced to 2 1/2 or 3 cups). Rabri is ready.
- You can also make instant rabri by adding 250 gms khoya in 1 cup milk and cook it till you get thick rabri.
- Now all the ingredients for the Falooda are ready. Rose Sharbat can be used to garnish the ice-cream. Alternatively Rose Sharbat can also be prepared at home.
Making the Falooda
Take a glass or bowl and add all the seven items in the following sequence.
- First of all, put 1 tbsp Sharbat in the glass.
- Next 2 tbsp of Falooda Sev.
- Then 1 tsp soaked Tukmaria seeds.
- Then 1 tbsp Ice Pieces.
- Then 1 tbsp Rabri.
- Next 2 scoops of Kulfi or Vanilla ice-cream.
- Lastly, pour a little Rose Sharbat.
The delicious Falooda ice-cream is ready to serve.
Note : You can easily make about 10 glasses of Falooda ice-cream with these ingredients.
The mix for Falooda is sweet sharbat, falooda sev, soaked tukmaria seeds, ice pieces, rabri, kulfi and a glass of rose sharbat.
- You can also use roohafza or rose essence, instead of rose sharbat.
- You can use vanilla ice-cream instead of Kulfi.
- You can substitute Falooda seva with boiled sevaiyan.
- Tukmaria seeds also known as sabja, babui, sweet basil is very good for the stomach. Tukmaria seeds can be bought from big grocery stores.