September 18, 2014
Baked Potato Skins With Masala Oats (Fusion)
Tea-time and you need a piping hot snack as well as some hot liquid to wash it down. Better still if it’s pouring outdoors and you are confined within the walls of your house. Snack in hand you can take in the scene outside or hit the couch and comfortably enjoy. Either way it is what is in hand that matters!
What you would need:
- Boiled potatoes (medium size) – 4 Nos.
- Pepper and spice oats ( 2 packets – 80 gms)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Garlic 10 to 12 cloves finely chopped
- Spring onion bulbs – 3 to 4 finely chopped
- Mushrooms – 8 to 10
- Thyme sprigs – fresh - two or three
- Corn Kernels – ½ cup
- Cheddar Cheese – 40 gms
- Fresh parsley – finely chopped (1/2 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to about 180 deg. C
- Heat a cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the Pepper and Spice Oats and stir well.
- Cover, let it cook till the water is absorbed and the oats are done
- Halve the potatoes with skin intact.
- Scoop out half the contents, mash and ad to the pan.
- Let the scooped out shells remain.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the garlic and saute. Add the spring onions and saute further
- Add mushrooms and toss. Add the thyme and toss.
- Now add the corn kernels a little water and toss to mix. Add the salt and cook on low flame till the corn turns soft.
- Now mix everything well and add the cooked oats and again mix well. Grate 20 gms cheese into it and mix everything in a separate bowl.
- Now heat oil in a deep frying pan and deep-fry the potato shells with skin till they turn golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper to remove the excess oil.
- Now fill these potato shells with the cooked oats mixture generously and place them in an oven proof dish.
- Grate the remaining cheese on top of each.
- Put the dish in pre-heated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve Hot.
I believe the next time you are keeping indoors, you may immediately jump at having this.