Come Ramzan Eid this year, one more eagerly and long awaited Salman starrer, Bajrangi Bhaijaan shall hit the theatres across India. The title had given rise to speculation on what sort of film could it be. In the days of hot love-jihad controversies, this title was also idly brought up for discussion though it just fizzled out.
- It is a family entertainer directed by Kabir Khan, produced by Salman Khan and Rockline Venkatesh. The star cast has Salman, Kareena Kapoor, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, a little girl called Harshaali Malhotra, Deepti Naval, Emraan Hashmi, Adnan Sami in special appearance and others.
- The storyline says: a small five year old girl (Harshaali Malhotra) is separated from her mother and finds herself on the Indian side of the border. Enters our man Salman as Bajrangi and naturally feels sad and vows to unite her with her parents across the border. It seems Kareena has hardly anything to say or do except a little at the beginning and a little at the end to total a screen presence amounting to about 30 minutes. If so who is the heroine or love interest of Salman?
- Salman in reel or real life dotes on kids. In the film both the girl and Bajrangi dote on each other. This makes it merely being natural for Salman with the sweet little girl who needs to get back to her screen parents with Bajrangi’s help.
- There are 11 tracks in the movie totaling close to 42 .5 minutes out of a total run time of 154 minutes. Could we term this as a musical?
- There is a qawwali ‘Bhar Do Meri Jholi’ by Adnan Sami that sounds nice but has also attracted controversy with notices being served to Kabir Khan, Salman, Pritam Chakraborty (music director) and one or two others in the crew.
- There is a lot about the title on Twitter talk, so could be interesting how it could actually help the movie
Salman’s Eid connection
Salman has a penchant for getting a blockbuster readied for Eid, ever since Wanted that was released in 2009 on Eid day did phenomenally well. This saw a trend since then with Dabangg (2010), Bodyguard (2011), Ek Tha Tiger (2012), Kick (2014). Now it will be Bajrangi Bhaijaan in 2015 and it is already planned as Sultan (2016). Eid has proved to be lucky for Salman as far as grossing money is concerned. He also says that round about Eid, families get together, so entire kith and kin would watch his movies in a festive mood. Even his other producers also seem to agree considering that they have done well financially with him as their hero.
Bajrangi Bhaijaan and the many firsts with it
- Salman shot in Kashmir for the first time. The 45 day shoot, the scenic locales of Pahalgam, the friendly and gushing locals all got to him so much, it made him rave on and on about why foreign locations like Switzerland when Kashmir is so very beautiful and has much to offer. He even had a wish to have a special screening for those whom he had come in close contact with there.
- If political equations are not correct no problem. Salman has diehard fans even the other side of the border and who also wish to get to see his movies early. There are two Pak releases Bin Roye and Wrong No. at Eid time. So possibly BB could be delayed. But no problem anyway - the fate of Bajrangi Bhaijaan is sealed there too. A definite hit! He is most willing to have a screening for his fans in Pakistan – the first time.
- Shahrukh Khan and Aamir Khan did their publicity by releasing the first look of Bajrangi Bhaijaan on Twitter quite some time back. Now Salman wanting to screen for them has planned for a first time that the three Khans get together for a screening of the film. The dates of Shahrukh and Aamir’s own films prevent the meet immediately. It remains to be seen when?
- Atif Aslam with ‘Tu Chahiye’ and Adnan Sami with Bhar Do Joli Meri have both lent voice to Salman for the first time. Salman has liked the voice of Atif Aslam very much.
- Kareena had worked opposite Salman in Bodyguard in 2011 and then done an item number for his Dabangg 2 (Fevicol se). Now after her marriage she will be seen with him for the first time, to re-create some of the old magic.
For now, it is keeping our fingers crossed and waiting to see if the opening day of Bajrangi Bhaijaan on Eid Day will actually surpass our expectations. For Salman it is an Eid prayer with ‘Bhar Do Jholi Meri’ (fill up my bag or coffer) that he will want fulfilled.