Popular with the Mumbai crowd and enjoyed to the last morsel is the delicious looking and tangy taste street food Ragda Pattice. Enjoyed as a snack or a light repast in the evening mostly, it has all the ingredients that combine to give that unforgettable aroma and taste that lasts over several days and beckons to come back soon to have it again.
Let us see how the same thing is reproduced at home.
Ragda Pattice (Mumbai street style)
[/vc_column_text][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width="1/2"][vc_column_text]What you will need:
For The Ragda
safed vatana (dried white peas) , soaked overnight – ¾ cup
mustard seeds ( rai / sarson) – ½ tsp
asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
turmeric powder (haldi) – ¼ tsp
salt to taste
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width="1/2"][vc_column_text]For The Pattice
boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes - 2 cups
cornflour - 2 tsp
salt to taste
ginger- green chilli paste - 1 tsp
ghee for cooking - 2 tsp [/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_column_text]Making Dry Red Masala
(Approx. 1/3 Cup)
chilli powder - 2 tbsp
coriander (dhania) powder - 3 tbsp
black salt (sanchal) - 1 tbsp
salt - 1 tbsp
meetha chutney – ¾ cup
teekha mint leaves (phudina) chutney - 1/3 cup
geela (wet) garlic (lehsun) ka chutney - 4 tsp
dry red masala (recipe above) - 1 tsp
nylon sev - 8 tbsp
finely chopped onions - 4 tbsp
papdis (crushed) - 8
For The Garnish
finely chopped coriander (dhania) - 4 tsp
Making Ragda Pattice
Making the Ragda
- Soak the safed vatana or white peas overnight or for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain the safed vatana and add 2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, vatana (whitepeas), salt and 1 cup of water. Mash the vatana slightly, using the bac
- Combine the potatoes, corn flour, turmeric powder, ginger- green chilli paste, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat round.
- Cook each pattice on a tava (griddle) using ¼ tsp of ghee till it turns brown on both the sides.
- Place ¼th of the hot ragda on a plate, add 3 tbsp of meetha chutney, 1 tbsp of teekha phudina chutney, 1 tsp of geela lehsun ka chutney and ¼ tsp of dry red masala and mix lightly.
- Flatten 2 pattice and place on the ragda mixture.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sev, 1 tbsp of onions, ¼ th of the crushed papdi and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.