Makar Sankranti it is in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Gudi Padwa in Maharashtra, Goa, Pongal in Tamil Nadu, Uttarayan in Gujarat, Maghi in Himachal, Punjab and Haryana, Bhogali Bihu in Assam, Kichdi in Uttar Pradesh and western Bihar etc.
Celebrated differently in the various states with fervor and gusto, one thing is common to all - some sweet is made to mark the good and auspicious occasion.
Let us check out the making of Besan Coconut Barf, a taste that lingers long and makes one head for eating one more and then one more, since having just one or a couple is not sufficient to satisfy.
Besan Coconut Barfi (Besan Nariyal Burfi)
What you will need:
- Gram flour - 1 cup (100 gm)
- Coconut powder - 1 cup (100 gm)
- Sugar - 1 cup (225 gm)
- Milk – ½ cup
- Ghee – ½ cup (125 gm)
- Cashews - 2-3 tbsp
- Pistachios - 1 tbsp
- Small Cardamom - 4-5 Nos.
- Take ghee in a wok and heat it.
- Add besan to the ghee and cook on medium flame. Keep stirring constantly, cook until it gets little dark in color. Then take out the roasted besan in a plate.
- Now put the coconut in the wok and roast for 1-2 minutes on medium flame. Stir constantly. Take out in a separate bowl.
Making the sugar syrup
- Add sugar and milk in a wok and cook on medium flame until sugar melts completely. Make sure the consistency of sugar syrup is thick. (Check 1-2 drops of syrup with the help of your thumb and finger
- There should be formation of long thin threads in syrup and it should be gooey in texture. Ince it has achieved that consistency, sugar syrup is ready. Turn off the gas.
Making the Besan Coconut Barfi
- Make 8-10 pieces of each cashew, cut pistachios thinly. Peel cardamom and grind coarsely to make powder.
- Add the roasted coconut, besan, chopped cashews, pistachios and cardamom powder and mix all ingredients well.
- Grease a plate or tray with some ghee. Pour the barfi mixture on tray and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios over the mixture and press them gently. Allow the barfi to set.
- Cut the Besan coconut barfi in any shape and size as per your desire.
- Delicious Besan coconut barfi is ready.
The use of dry fruits is entirely up to one’s liking.
Store the barfi in an air tight container and enjoy eating. If stored well it last up to a month.
Simple to make, tasty and delicious to consume, it is a very popular sweet for any occasion, even for simply consuming because you like it.
courtesy - www.nishamadhulika.com