EMBROIDERIES OF INDIA / PARSI WORK / MOTIFS
Motifs with meaning
- Parsi embroidery incorporates motifs that have deep meanings. Parsees have always been reverent towards nature which is displayed in their embroidery work.
- Persian symbols like the cypress tree, chakla chakli or contradictory birds, are nicely depicted, giving a delicate touch to the threadwork.
- A tree called the divine fungus is used as a symbol of longevity and immortality.
- Lotus and peacock are very popular as motifs.
- Floral baskets, vignettes of Chinese court life, blooming gardens, with flowers such as peony, rose, chrysanthemum are motifs that represent harmony, and a fullfilling life.