Beauty is a gift from God. Nature simply provides the preservatives.
When one is blessed with beauty, one should not let it wither away. And that is precisely what our “Dream Girl” of Bollywood, Hema Malini, has done. She has preserved her looks by a temperament and life style that let her remain the “Dream Girl” to her countless fans even today.
And to add to her beauty she has a love for the saree that gives her the ethereal look that other women of her age envy and younger women admire. In fact the way she appears in her saree, makes us feel that whatever she wears has been made “just for her”. What a manner of choosing, what a way to shine!
Hema Malini has always chosen the saree as her attire, though there are rare occasions when she has been seen in salwar suits and other costumes. But the saree remains her eternal favorite – one that she prefers by way of tradition, the look and the extraordinary variety that she can choose from.
Nature has provided her that sixth sense that tells her which design to wear and for what occasion, that people actually await her entrance at events just to see how beautiful she would look in the saree she would be wearing. Extraordinary but true!
Check this sample of photos of her taken at various events.
At Nari Hira’s birthday party
Shop Handloom sarees in silk & cotton at Unnati Silks, Indian Handlooms since 1980.
Let us have a glimpse of what Hema Malini has achieved in her Life
Hema Malini had never even thought of becoming an actress. She had started a career in dancing at an early age, but then was convinced by her Mother that she should get into the film industry where she could have the best of both worlds – an acting career that would fetch her success while her love for dancing would enhance her prospects in getting roles suitable for that too.
So she took up acting starting with a Tamil movie in 1963 at the age of 15, that being her ‘lingua franca’ and then seeing the opportunity her Mother got in touch with producers from Mumbai. She moved onto Bollywood and was accompanied by her Mother. Her first movie in her Hindi film journey was Sapnon Ka Saudagar with Raj Kapoor and after that Lady Luck smiled and she never looked back. She was known as the “Dream Girl” from then on for her extremely good looks.
She has been fairly successful in her fairly long journey in Hindi Cinema and starred opposite all the popular leading actors of the day. But her passion for dancing has never flagged and she is an accomplished Bharatanatyam dancer as well as choreographer.
She has also released a music album of devotional songs scripted by Adi Shankarachrya. Recipient of the national civilian award of Padma Shri she has also received numerous awards for her films and dancing.
The Norwegian Government issued a postal stamp in her honour marking the 100th anniversary of Indian cinema at the Bollywood film festival held in Norway on 7 September 2012.
While she has trained in Bharatanatyam, her two daughters, have trained in Kuchupudi and the three recently appeared at the prestigious Khajuraho Dance Festival.
From 2003 to 2009, Malini was elected to the Rajya Sabha, the upper House of Parliament, as a representative of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In 2014, Malini was elected to the Lok Sabha. Malini has been involved with charitable and social ventures. Currently, Malini is also a life member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON).
Beautiful sarees in silk & cotton at Unnati Silks to buy online
Hema Malini and her beautiful sarees
If you observe the sarees that the “Dream Girl” wears, you will notice that they are light, not so heavy and flowing, with matching accessories. What gives her that extraordinary look is the way she combines, the neatness of her drape and the way she carries herself. Plus of course the right amount of ornamentation and accessories. (You could see a video regarding the clutches she carries based on what she is wearing, to give you ideas.). Video of the same.
Beauty is an additional ornament for those blessed with it, but for the average lot, it serves to drape well and get gushed over. Plenty of ideas from the images that follow!
Hema Malini in Jute Silk saree
Hema Malini in sarees in her movies
If you observe even in her movies, in roles of day-to-day characters she has a striking appearance. And where it be a character of royalty you can see for yourself.
Hema Malini has had a lot of success in her filmy career but also has had unpleasant moments in her personal life. A woman of grit and determination just like her mentor Mother, she faced Society bravely, saw that her daughters never suffered on account of her choices and saw them happily married off to good men. Recently she became a grandmother twice when each of her daughters bore a child.
She still is very much active in politics, maybe an odd role or two in movies maybe, and her main passion – dance. She is now able to do what she was not able to in her young age and devotes quite a lot of her time in dance shows both as a performer and a choreographer.
You can get a feel of her attitude from some of her personal quotes based on events at different times in her life.
Her own Quotes
- My interest was dance and, in the beginning, I didn’t enjoy acting at all. It was my mother who brought me into films and who looked after my career. I remember each time a producer came to meet her, my only reaction was, ‘Oh God, another year of my life gone.
- Politics is a jungle where destinies change every evening.
- I have been chanting Soundarya Lahari, written by Adi Shankara for about 16 years now. It is very popular here in the South but not many know of it in North India and this is my offering for the pooja season. I meditate to these shlokas and am very happy that Suresh Wadkar and Shankar Mahadevan have contributed to it, with Amitabh Bachchan giving the introduction.
- I am glad I got to be part of such a historic film,” she says and pauses to think. And then adds, “The movie is still popular and that’s great. It also means that for as long as people remember the film, I will also be there in their memories. That’s special. And of course, it is not just Sholay but people also remember me for Seeta Aur Geeta. When I am in the U.S., I love travelling in cabs. And there have been times when Russian cab drivers recognised me and hummed a few tunes from the movie!
- Though I was too young to understand the complexities of marriage, I understand that the premise of their disagreement was unfair. Why must a woman have to give up her passion after marriage when the same is never asked of a man. (In the film Abhinetri where she played the role of dancer where after marriage she was expected to give up her career.)
- It has been my most appreciated performance to date and though I have played myriad characters over the years, somehow none was as complex or as passionate as Saudamini. The director later told me that the only reason he cast me was because I was a dancer and capable of delivering navarasas [nine forms].
- About her acting in Suadamini page – I was cast opposite multiple heroes and as luck would have it, the chemistry worked with most.
- Learning the long lines and delivering them in one take was a nightmare, but Rameshji helped me as also the fact that I have a good memory. It is only when you become successful that you realize how everything contributes to your success. – This was about film Sholay.
- So many roles, so many trends, so many kinds of cinema and so many stories…I have projected different images during different decades, voiced different concerns –sometimes as a daughter, sometimes as a wife and mother- but often I ask myself if things have really changed. I am not sure.
- I made a serial called Nupur in which I danced for one particular shloka of Soundarya Lahari . The show was mostly about dance. It is then that I started learning to chant Soundarya Lahari . …People only know me as an actor and a dancer but recently I thought about doing this album. (On the release of her first singing album “Soundarya Lahairi”) About Hema Malini
Unnati Silks loves the way Hema Malini chooses to explore varieties & designs.
Millions of ideas germinate, many take root, some falter and die on the way,
Only those sustained with passion survive.
Our passion for handlooms once gave birth to a dream, four decades and a commitment later we realize the purposeful reality that has formed.
Unnati strongly believes that Indian handloom textiles are second to none, are the nation’s pride and a heritage to treasure. It is this strong belief that sustains us and the proponents of this ethnic craft.
To this end when armed with our forte’ in block printing and the backing of a dedicated team of craftsmen and artisans in tow, we seek a betterment for these women and their families for the journey forward from now.
We do not make claims, we allow our loyal customers to speak for us.
Choose from a huge collection of Handloom fabric varieties in silk, cotton and other fibres at Unnati Silks online & offline at great prices.
We now present some memorable shots of Hema from her personal life that show the quiet woman with plenty of resolve, who believes that every human being has a right to live the way he or she wants with malice towards none.
Folder – Hema Malini – From her personal life
We further present a few You Tube videos regarding her sarees and matching accessories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUosh6IZzo – Hema Malini & her sarees – no sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDwK4DHlfY – Hema Malini’s Saree Fashion 2019 | Indian Saree Designs 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMBpQgz8akY – Hema Malini in saree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ByWWu6u_z8 – Hema Malini Saree Collection With Matching Hand purse /Hema malini looks Beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB3E4F083No – www.sareetimes.com-Hema Malini Saree Show
Nothing comes easy in Life and so too hema Malini has reached her position at which she is now – a star with many memorable moments in her active filmy career, which we hope still continues with appropriate roles, a Bharatanatyam danseuse as well as choreographer, a great Mom and now even a grandmother to the children born to her daughters, a husband who respects her need for freedom and is very much supportive of her various roles she has to fulfil in Society. We also wish her great luck and an excellent future of Good Health, since she has achieved most of what she wanted to, of her own dint and courage.
In parting we present a collection of more images of her sarees that showcase her flair for picking the right thing for the right occasion.