There is nothing so very satisfying as a delightful evening meal had early, had hot, with a menu that is not only lip-smacking but finger-licking as well. Tangy in taste, filling to the stomach, one can think of Rotis, Parathas, Naans etc. with some curry to accompany that would do the job.
Try out the Amritsari Aloo Kulcha, a favourite with North Indians, but that can be enjoyed by whoever chances to eat it. And the Paneer Bhurji gravy to accompany.
Of course you can always throw in the pickles and papad and raita for fun.
Let’s get started.
Amritsari Aloo Kulcha
Making the kulcha
What you will need:
- Maida (white flour) – 400 gm or 3 cups
- Curd – 3 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/3 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp (as per taste)
- Carom seeds or cumin seeds – 1 tsp
How you prepare
- Sieve the maida in a bowl.
- Mix curd, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, oil in it.
- Mix all the ingredients well with hands.
- Knead the flour with luke warm water to make a smooth dough.
- Flip and punch the dough for 5 minutes to make it smooth.
- Apply oil to the dough and keep it in a deep pan. Cover the bowl with clean towel and keep it in a warm place. Within 3-4 hours the dough will rise.
- Punch the dough once again to fix it. The dough to make kulcha is ready.
Making the Aloo filling
What you will need:
- Potato – 300 gm (4 boiled)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (as per taste)
- Green chillies – 1or 2 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch long piece (grated)
- Amchoor powder (dry mango powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1-2 pinch.
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (chopped)
Prepare the Filling to stuff the Kulcha
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
- Put salt, green chilli, ginger, coriander powder, amchoor powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Mix all the spices well with the mashed potatoes.
- The filling to stuff the kulcha is ready.
Preparing the Amritsari Aloo Kulcha
- Make 8-10 round balls of the dough. Make equal amount of small balls of the potato mixture also.
- Take one ball of the dough and roll it into a flat disc of 3 inch.
- Put the potato mixture ball on the disc and press it with hands so it settles down on the dough.
- Fold and close the disc from all the sides to make a kulcha.
- Dust the kulcha with dry maida and press it with light hands to increase its size upto 3 inch. Now roll the kulcha into a flat disc of 6-7 inch with the roller.
- Fix some carom seeds or cumin seeds over the at the top of the kulcha.
Now Bake the Kulcha.
Note : You can bake the kulcha in oven, or make on pan (tawa) or tandoor.
To make the kulcha in a pan
- Put it over the stove and grease it with little oil.
- Put the kulcha in the pan and roast it until it turns brown from the bottom surface.
- Pour some oil or ghee on the upper surface once the lower surface turns brown.
- Roast it till both the surface turns brown in colour.
- Prepare all the kulchas in the same manner.
To Bake the Kulchas in an oven
- grease a tray with oil.
- Put 2 kulchas in the pan and pre-heat the oven at 300 centigrade.
- Place the tray in an oven and bake the kulcha for 2 minutes.
- Flip the side of the kulchas after 2 minutes and bake again till both the surfaces turn brown in colour.
- Now take out the tray from the oven.
- The kulchas are ready
- Prepare the rest in the same manner.
Serve the Potato stuffed kulchas with whatever that is to accompany
Now Make the Gravy
- crumble 200 to 250 grams paneer and keep aside.
- heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a pan.
- add the whole spices – 1 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, 5 to 6 black peppercorns and 2 small tej patta or 1 medium to large tej patta.
- saute till the spices become aromatic.
- Now add ½ cup finely chopped onion. stir very well. saute the onions till light golden.
- add the chopped green chilies and 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste.
- saute till the aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Now add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes. stir very well. saute till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides of the masala.
- Now add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and ¼ tsp garam masala powder.
- stir the ground spices well.
- Keep the flame at its lowest, and now add 3 tbsp fresh curd/yogurt.
- As soon as you add curd, stir quickly and briskly.
- Then add ½ cup water and stir.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. stir.
- Bring the curry or gravy to a simmer.
- Add the crumbled paneer. Also add the salt.
- Stir very well and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes till the paneer is cooked.
- Switch off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir very well for some time.
The Paneer Bhurji gravy is ready.
Substitutes (in the event of non-availability)
200 to 250 grams paneer – 200 to 250 grams of tofu
2 tbsp butter – 2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp curd/yogurt – skip altogether and add about ¼ to ½ tsp lemon juice. you can also add 3 tbsp buttermilk. or use 3 tbsp cashew yogurt or almond yogurt.
1/2 tsp red chili powder – ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Serve the hot stuffed Amritsari Aloo Kulcha with the Paneer Bhurji gravy while it is hot.
Enjoy the delicious, spicy stuffed kulchas with the tangy hot Paneer Bhurji gravy.
Let the contented smile spread from ear to ear.