Dal Dhokali or Dal Dhokli is a tasty, spicy and filling dish that can serve as an addition to a course or be part of the course itself. Mainly made in Rajasthan and Gujarat, there are slight differences in the ingredients and ultimate taste, but both versions are popular and serve interchangeably at times. Today we shall see the preparation of the Rajasthani type.
Rajsthani Dal Dhokli
Ingredients that you would need:
- Arhar Dal – ½ cup (100 gm)
- Wheat Flour – ½ cup (100 gm)
- Gram flour – 2 tbsp (20 grams)
- Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ghee – 2 -3 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly – 1
- Green chilly – 1 (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 7-8
- Green coriander – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Salt – 1.5 tsp or as per taste
- Carom seeds – less than ¼ tsp
Making Rajasthani Dal Dhokli
- Clean and wash the dal thoroughly. Keep it soaked in water for ½ to 1 hour, prior to cooking.
- Place the dal in a pressure cooker. Add two cups of water to it. Also add 1 tsp salt before cooking. Allow it to simmer only once. After one simmer, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the steam escape. Keep the dal as it in the pressure cooker.
- Take flour, gram flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp ghee and carom seeds in a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Adding water little by little, knead soft flour, similar to that required for making chapattis.
- For kneading this much quantity of flour, use ¼ cup of water. Cover the dough and keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes to set. The dough will get puffy.
- Grease your hands with some ghee and again knead the dough a little. Keep it aside.
- Take a small lump of the dough and give it a round shape. Dust with some flour, flatten and roll out like a chapatti.
- Using a sharp knife or spoon edge, cut it into 1-1 inch strips. Cut these strips from the centre into two halves each.
- Do the same for the entire lot of dough.
Cooking the dhokli
- Take 2 to 3 cups of water in any vessel and allow it simmer.
- When water starts boiling, place dhokli pieces into it. Cook the dhokli on high flame for 10 to 15 minutes and keep stirring at regular intervals.
Preparing tadka for the dal
- Take ghee in a pan. When ghee in hot, add cumin seeds and asafoetida into it.
- After sauteing cumin seeds, add turmeric powder, curry leaves, dry red chilly, chopped green chilies and coriander powder.
- Again saute the spices mix for a few more minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes. Once tomatoes are cooked, add red chilly powder and mix well. Saute the masala until oil starts separating from it. The masala is ready.
Preparing the Dal Dhokli
- Now mix cooked dal and dhokli in a pressure cooker and also put the masala in the vessel with the dhokli.
- Mix everything really well and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Dal dhokli is ready. Mix a few chopped coriander leaves into it and take out in a bowl.
- Garnish with some more coriander leaves and ghee.
- Serve steaming hot dal dhokli and relish its spicy taste.