Say Samosa and there is expectancy of the aloo-filled snack that is the darling of most Indians. Potato samosa has become so very seated in our minds that we forget that there could be variations to the filling that would make a good change now and then.
Take the Mawa Samosa. How many would have thought about it, if aloo were to be replaced by something else?
Today try out the Mawa Samosa or as soon as you get ready with the ingredients and the mood.
You will need:
Ingredients for the samosa filling
- Mawa (khoya) – 100 gms. (1 small cup)
- Sugar – 75 gms. (3/4 cup)
- Cashews – 15-20 ( chop each into 6-7 pieces)
- Raisins – 30-35 (separate the stems from them)
- Cardamom – 4 (peel and grind)
Ingredients for the flour
- Maida – 400 gms. (4 small cups)
- Ghee – 100 gms. (1 small cup)
- Ghee – to fry the samosas.
Making Mawa ke Samose
Prepare the Mawa Filling
- Roast mawa in a heavy bottom pan until it turns brown.
- Mix sugar, cashews, raisins and cardamom to it and mix well. The mawa filling is ready.
Prepare dough to make samosa
- Sieve the maida in a bowl. Add ghee to it.
- Mix the ingredients to it.
- Knead the flour with lukewarm water and leave it covered for half an hour.
Making the samosas
- Take a small portion of the dough equal to the size of a lemon, roll out with hands in circular motion.
- Press it and roll in into a little thick flat disc of 4 inch.
- Cut the disc into 2 equal parts in the shape of half moon.
- Take one part and stick it from the corners with the help of water forming a cone shape.
- Fill this cone with 1 or 1 ½ tsp filling.
- After filling the cone with the stuff, place a plate at the bottom corner and stick both the corners with water.
- Press the corners with hands gently and close the corners.
- Prepare all the other samosas in the same manner and keep them on a plate.
- Take a pan and heat oil in it to fry the samosas.
- Put 4-5 samosas into the hot oil and fry the samosas on the medium flame till they turn brown in colour.
- Take them out of the pan and keep them on the plate covered with paper napkin.
- Fry all the other samosas in the same manner.
Your Mawa Samosas are ready.
Serve the hot crispy samosas with coriander chutney and sweet chutney.
Store the remaining samosas in an air-tight container that can be consumed for 15-20 days.