It is Durga Puja time and there are plenty of delicacies that would appeal to a sweet tooth. If one were interested in making sweets at home, not only for immediate consumption during the Puja days but to also be stored for consuming at will later, let us try something that would appeal to the Puja crowd and also be store worthy. Like the Sooji Dry Fruits Gujiya.
Sooji Dry Fruits Gujiya
Things you will need for the Rava Karanji
- Refined flour – 2 cups (250 gm)
- Ghee – 1/4 cup (60 gm)
- Curd or Milk – 1/4 cup
Things you will need for the stuffing
- Semolina – 3/4 cup (150 gm)
- Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
- Dry fruits – 1 cup (cashews, walnuts, almonds, raisins)
- Green cardamom – 7 to 8 pieces
- Ghee – for frying gujiyas and roasting semolina
Making the Sooji Dry Fruits Gujiya
Kneading the dough
- Take the refined flour in a vessel. Add ghee and curd to it. Mix them well.
- Now add water to the mix little by little and knead the dough tight. Cover it and keep aside.
Making the stuffing
- First take the dry fruits one by one and chop them all fine.
- Peel the cardamoms and powder them fine.
- Now take a wok (metal pan with rounded bottom) and put 2 tbsp ghee in it. Heat it for about a minute or two.
- Add the semolina to it and stir constantly. Roast the semolina till it turns golden brown.
- When it turns golden brown, add the chopped dry fruits and roast further for 1 or 2 minutes. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Take it off the flame and keep stirring the semolina.
- Take the semolina into a bowl and allow it to cool
Getting ready to make the gujiyas
- Take the dough that was kept aside and knead it again till it gets soft and smooth. Make 25 small dough balls, cover and keep aside.
- Take the semolina when it has cooled and add powdered sugar and cardamom powder in it. Mix well. The stuffing is ready.
Making the Gujiyas
- Take one dough ball and roll it flat into a 3 or 4 “ dia poori.
- Place this rolled poori on a plate. Do likewise for ten dough balls.
- Now stuff each poori with the readied stuffing. Take one poori, place it in the mold and stuff it with the readied stuffing ( 1 to 1.5 tsp). Spread some water at the corners.
- Close the mold, press gently and remove the excess dough from it. Open the mold, remove the Gujiya and place on a plate. Likewise prepare all of them and place on the plate. Cover them so that they do not dry.
- Take ghee in a wok and heat it sufficiently.Place the Gujiyas one after the other in the medium hot ghee and fry on a low to medium flame till they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Take the fried Gujiyas onto a plate with absorbent paper on it.
- The excess Ghee will be absorbed and you have neat Gujiyas waiting to be served.
These are helpful hints that could get the job done easy and praise from various quarters.
- Other dry fruits apart from that used here could be taken for the stuffing. The quantity is one’s personal choice.
- The Gujiyas should be handled with care, so that they do not break while the stuffing is done. In case a Gujiya breaks and the stuffing spills, keep it aside and continue with the next one. After all are over, the broken gujiyas could be straightened a bit with slight pressing and fried.
- Done beforehand would have spoilt the ghee for all the Gujiyas fried after that and would have required a lot of straining and removal of the gujiya stuffing from the ghee.
- Gujiya prepared with semolina and dry fruits tastes delicious and has a longer shelf life compared to gujiyas with other types of stuffing.
- Mawa and semolina are interchangeable.
The preparation is for 25 to 30 gujiyas.
Make hot. Serve fast. Eat contentedly. Store well.
Courtesy – www.nishamadhulika.com