Eyes are expressive, they say a lot despite not uttering anything. An icy glare or a friendly twinkle, a mournful look or a child-like glee, all these are said by the eye in a flash, and the intended recipient understands what is being conveyed in a jiffy.
When the eyes are sparkling, there is joie de vivre that is infectious. Let the eyes be dull and listless and there is a melancholy feeling that gets to the sensitive ones around. Eyes are mirrors of the soul, the indicators of what exactly we feel inside.
While these tell about what we feel within there are external signs also that caution us that we need to take care and bring about a change in our habits. External indicators not only tell about the condition but also immediately bring on ugly tell-tale signs that mar the otherwise clear and good looks of the face.
Known as crow’s feet or dark circles, these signs have become the bane of the clear-face brigade.
Why dark circles?
Dark circles are due to lack of sleep, stress, a disturbed life style, unhealthy routine, poor diet and what not. Though hereditary factor is also included as a cause, it is not so widespread or rampant to be considered as a major cause.
Removing the dark circles from under the eyes now takes on priority purely for aesthetic reasons and there are treatments from mild applications to heavy coats on the affected area to get an immediate cure or relief from the ugly stain-on-the-face.
Removing the dark circles
There are chemicals that are tried out but with the possibilities of some blemish on the affected area after application, the sensitivity of the skin to the chemicals that could adversely affect the skin etc.
But what if there are chemicals that could be used to reap the benefits of no marks and clear skin with the eyes regaining their elasticity and sparkle? Let us see what these widely beneficial solutions are.
The cool cucumber has skin-tightening and astringent effects that bring about a soothing and refreshing effect.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thin slices, chill for about half an hour, then place the slices on the affected areas for about 10minutes. Next wash the area with water. repeat twice daily for a week
- Another option is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts. With a swab of cotton, dip it into the mixture and gently dab the affected area. Leave on for 15 minutes, wash it off with water. Repeat this for a week to get good effects.
Tomatoes have excellent properties to rid dark circles.
- Take a teaspoon of tomato juice and a teaspoon of lemon and mix the two. Apply the mixed juice under the eyes and wash off after 10 minutes. Repeat this twice a day and then for a week at least.
- There is a suggestion to drink a mix of tomato juice, lime juice with mint leaves daily and the effects would be telling soon.
- Grate some raw potato, extract the juice. Take a cotton swab and dip in the potato juice. make cotton balls and closing the eyes, place the cotton balls wherever affected. i.e. under the eyes, above the eyelids. Leave for 10 mins. and then wash off with cold water.
- Alternatively use thick potato slices to place above the eyes.
4. Cold tea bags
- Dip a tea bag or green tea bags in water. Chill in the fridge for some time. Place over the eyes. Make it a repeated effort for a week. See the difference.
5. Rose water
One of the very excellent ways to get rid of the dark circles and get the sparkle back in the eyes, rose water rejuvenates the skin, tones the eyes, has a soothing effect on tired eyes.
- Soak cotton pads in rose water for a few minutes.
- Put the soaked pads on the closed eyelids.
- Leave for 15 minutes.
- Do twice a day for two or three weeks.
6. Cold Milk
- The regular consumption of cold milk at night will decrease the dark circles and soothe the eyes and skin.
- Alternatively use a cotton swab dipped in cold milk and place over closed eye. Keep for a while and then wash away with water.
7. Orange Juice
- Mix orange juice with a few drops of glycerine. Dip cotton swabs in the mixture and apply over the dark circles. The dark circles disappear and the eyes regain their shiny glow.
8. Almond Oil
- Applying almond oil gently over the dark circles go to sleep. Wash with cold water the next morning. Repeat daily at night time. The dark circles will go away completely in about two or three weeks.
9. Lemon juice
Lemon juice with its vitamin C has skin lightening properties that would be good for the dark circles.
- apply fresh lemon juice around the eyes with a cotton swab. Leave on for about 10 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. Do once or twice daily for a few weeks.
- alternatively make a thick paste from lemon juice, 2 tbsp of tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour (besan) and turmeric powder. Apply the paste gently around the eyes. Keep for about 15 minutes. Wash off.
One of the main reasons that’s been seen for the recurrence of dark circles under eyes is stress, depression and a hectic lifestyle. No amount of home remedies will work if .your mind isn’t cool and calm. Yoga and meditation if practiced regularly will not only decrease your dark circles will also balance the body clock whilst calming your mind, body and soul.
These are ten of the easy and effective means of getting those ugly dark circles out of the face and getting the eyes to appear shiny and glowing. While they are remedies that work after the dark circles have appeared, prevention is better than cure.
Observe the golden rules of good uninterrupted sleep of seven hours, reading in good light, avoiding late nights, sleeping with a stress-free mind and a good diet of vitamins and other nutritive substances.